Monday, February 3, 2014

Desire More

Desire more - thought that would catch your attention!  What do we desire more of in our lives?  Is it better health, more money, more material possessions, or a longing to be like the neighbor?!  My, greatest desire is to know my Lord and Savior better.  In return for the ultimate sacrifice for my sin, glorify Him through everything I do in my daily walk.

In John 15:8 Jesus says, "This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourself to be my disciples."  This is a statement Jesus made to his disciples after explaining the analogy of the vine and the branches.  It is also shortly before His arrest and crucifixion.  I have been studying the I Am's of Jesus together with another individual for several weeks now and it has been a blessing to renew my thoughts and focus them on the purpose God has given to those of us who have a genuine relationship with Him.  Desiring to know the Lord better as his devoted followers by studying his word brings us to a place of bearing fruit for him.  As we bear fruit for him he blesses us in our lives with what is needed to better equip us for his work.

In the Bible we see blessings unfold as a short, but heartfelt story is told in the book of Ruth.  Ruth a young woman whose genuine decision to follow the God of creation gave her the desire to stay completely devoted no matter the cost.  Ruth, the daughter in law to Naomi, chooses to live for the true God that Naomi and her family taught her about.  Years have passed and the woman are left as widows and new decisions have to be made in their journeys forward.  Departing from one city to another Ruth stays by Naomi's side not knowing what the future holds.  Ruth 1: 16 & 17 reads like this, "But Ruth replied, 'Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you.  Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay.  Your people will be my people and your God my God.  Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried.  May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."  What amazing faith as she faces an unknown future.  A lesson as I continue to devote myself each day in the confidence of the Lord, willing to allow his purpose to unfold.  Prayerfully giving the Lord my day and letting his glory be what is seen in me and through me, no matter the circumstances. 

I look forward to a continued study of Ruth, with the ladies that are sharing this study together with me.  Without being in the word and asking through prayer, how can I know what the Lord's purpose for my life is.  Reading, praying and listening, then being obedient and faithful to serve him for his glory, not mine.

God Bless you as you desire to know the Lord better by searching his word and prayerfully considering his purpose in your life.

No comments:

2021 Another Year

  Today is February 9th 2021. A new year with many experiences behind and many new experiences on the continued journey of my life. Well tod...